Monday 4 November 2013

5th month of ASUU strike Students, parents slam govt, lecturers


Anger, frustration and indignation coloured reactions of students, parents and other stakeholders on Friday as the strike by the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) entered its fifth month. Across the country, the feeling of despondency was decipherable in the responses Saturday Tribune got as it sought to gauge opinions on the almost interminable strike that has seen students staying at home since July 1. Musa Idrisa, a Law student of Usman Danfodio University, Sokoto, lamented the continued ASUU strike, saying lecturers and the Federal Government should see reason and come to an amicable resolution. According to him, already, the strike had impacted negatively on the education sector. “Those who can afford it are moving to Ghana, South Africa and other countries for university education, but we the poor are at home doing nothing. Some have even died or sustained injury while travelling to make ends meet. It is so frustrating. I thought of learning a skill like tailoring but who knows what would happen anytime? We don’t know when they will call off the strike, but we are really tired of staying at home seeing the academic calendar drawn backward,” he said. Garba Askira, a Mass Communication student of the University of Maiduguri, said he and his colleagues had commenced prayers to see an end to the strike since many approaches had failed. “The continued stay at home is affecting the psyche of many students who had planned to pursue other things in life after graduation. We have to seek divine intervention. We pray that the latest effort of the vice president will bring an end to the crisis,” he said. Other reactions are produced below: Preston Okereke (student): I think the government should find a solution to this strike because students are not getting any younger. The strike is giving some students room to engage in unserious acts. An idle mind is the devil’s workshop. Badmos Olakemi (student): We are tired of the strike. We can’t continue to stay at home. Life is becoming unbearable for us. I am supposed to be writing my first semester examination now, but that has been put on hold. I am broke because my parents have stopped giving me money. I am worried. Please, beg ASUU on our behalf so that we can return to school. Life at home is boring. Ademola Adewole (parent): I have nothing to say anymore. Nigeria’s government and ASUU have proved that they don’t value the quality of education. That is why we have remained at home. Can you imagine this country where our leaders are playing politics with our future? It is unimaginable! It is obvious that this government lacks the will to take this country to greater heights. Awele Blessing (student): ASUU strike? I have forgotten about the issue. I am about rounding off my vocational training in beautification and make-up. In fact, I am glad that universities are on strike because the situation has afforded me the opportunity to do what I would not have done ordinarily. Whether school resumes or not, honestly, I am not worried. The government should listen to ASUU. That is my take. Adesina Johnson (student): I am frustrated. I am pained. The government is mortgaging our future. ASUU is not responsible. We don’t even know who to trust as far as the issue is concerned. Why is it difficult for the Federal Government to listen to ASUU? Why is ASUU not considering the government’s offer? Life could not be more boring than it is right now. Students have been out of school for five months and nobody is raising an eyebrow about it. It is clear that this country’s future is in jeopardy. Femi Babalola (student): There is nothing I or any other person can say that will change the course of things. Those who belong to the upper class are enjoying, while others are being fed with crumbs. ASUU should fight it to the finish. It should continue to press home its demands until they are met. These lecturers have wives and kids. They deserve to live a good life. Politicians have spoilt this country. They are living fat on our resources, but they can’t pay the lecturers good money. The battle continues. I know it is affecting me because I am supposed to be writing my final exams now, but I don’t care. Let this issue be resolved now or never. Grace Alabi (student): If, indeed, there was an agreement with ASUU by the Federal Government, the government should, for the sake of students and the future of this country, honour that agreement. It is baffling. Sometimes, I ask myself if this government really understands what it means to have a solid education sector. How long are we going to continue like this? There is no hope for the youth of the country because there is no provision for them by the government.
Bola Adeyemi (student): The ongoing strike is a bad omen for this country. I urge all Nigerians at home or in the Diaspora to save the country’s education sector by pleading with both parties or embarking on protests and other logical means. We can’t continue to fold our arms and watch as things continue to go from bad to worse. If the only tool ASUU could use to press home their demands is strike, I support it. In fact, let it continue. Seun Owonikoko (parent): I am surprised that the two parties involved in the issue have allowed the strike to get this far. We have heard of series of pleas from other stakeholders. I think there is more to it than we know. This is the fifth month of this strike. It shows that we don’t have a good government. What does it cost the government to pay what the lecturers are demanding, compared to what its officials earn per month? Posterity will judge those who have decided to let things get this bad in the education sector. Obaniyi Adeniran (businessman): My take is that this country is broke. The government cannot meet ASUU’s demand. Forget about what you read in the papers. I just hope they have not sold our country. Nigerians should not be surprised if they wake up one day to find that soldiers have taken over. Olofintoye kemi (student): I feel the lecturers should be wise and mature enough to call off the strike because the future of the youth is at stake. The money used to purchase cars worth millions of naira by the aviation minister can actually be used to settle ASUU. Samuel Edema: If GEJ, as a former teacher, cannot resolve this strike that is making our boys “Yahoo!” and our girls “runs babes,” I don’t know why he should still be president. In a civilised world, this is enough grounds to impeach him! Any country that is not taking its youth seriously is never going to be great. Quote me. Seun Hounge: My take is simple: ASUU is on track. They must not suspend the strike until they get at least 70 percent of their demands met. And I would expect NUT to take up the strike where ASUU leaves off. The rot in the education sector can’t be corrected at the tertiary level; it starts from the foundation. Government must increase funding of the educational sector. Shola Pacheco, UK: My sibling was two weeks away from her final exam before the strike started. I think Nigeria has its fair share of problems but it is high time ASUU, as an association, got its act together and came to a reasonable agreement for the sake of the students. The government has quite failed, but what use has keeping these kids at home been? My sibling has missed her NYSC posting, and she is frustrated and angry about the system. When you know you have much to lose, you tread cautiously. ASUU can be on strike for two years, but nothing about the government will change. Get your act together ASUU! No one fights all their battles at a go. Get the schools open, and fast. Idowu Oyin (student): It is really unfair. This is a really bad situation and the government is not doing anything about it, maybe because their children are not in public universities. They don’t care about our welfare. It is good for them to reconsider this situation before worse things begin to happen. Emmanuella Osee (student): This strike is making me lose my mind because I had about two months to be through with pharmacy school. It is more painful because the government can meet the demands of ASUU. I read newspapers a lot and I see how money is spent without a care in the world by this same Nigerian government. I implore the Federal Government to meet ASUU’s demands. I also know that ASUU is not just fighting the cause of students, but they also have personal interests. But, let’s ask ourselves: why won’t they have personal interests? They work harder and earn less; in fact, nothing compares to ‘our ogas at the top.’ The government should meet the demands and restore sanity to the education sector. Bayo Aderibigbe (student): I am enjoying the strike. I have been travelling around, doing business. Josh Damil: Both ASUU and the Federal Government don’t care about the masses at all. We just hear them mention billions and trillions of naira. They don’t care about us, but I know that they won’t go unpunished as long as God reigns. Vengeance will surely come. Moyo Osiyemi (student): I am short of words for everything that is happening. The more I try to think about it, the more I feel like crying. More graduates have been posted again for service while I am here. Etti Juwon (student): In my own view, if ASUU wants to fight for students, they should fight with the consent of the students. The students are tired of staying at home, those who are supposed to be graduates now will have extra months or a year to be in school. Adeola Makinde (parent): It is sheer stupidity. I don’t think the government is serious. If it is, they would have called off the strike. Meanwhile, ASUU is a cancer that must be removed at all costs. They have never been serious. It is not the government that run universities but their vice chancellors. Before pointing fingers at the Federal Government, they should ask their VCs how they managed the little funds at their disposal. Waheed Salami (worker): If you want to make an omelette, you must break the egg. There is no good thing that comes without some pains. Making promises and failing has been part and parcel of the Federal Government. ASUU should continue, even if it takes two years to get what they want from the Federal Government. Gabriel Adeboye (student): The strike has become a laughing matter. We don’t even know who is lying anymore. We have read series of stories about ASUU calling the strike off today or tomorrow but nothing has happened. That tells you that we are in for a long stay at home. Most of my friends have established afternoon lessons for secondary school students, especially those who are preparing for one examination or the other. Bankole Joseph (student): I am in my final year, but right now, I have been forced to stay at home doing nothing. What is the assurance that I will secure a job when I eventually graduate in some months? Right now, I am hoping for the best, but expecting the worst. Nigeria is a failed state. None of the current leaders or those aspiring to be has the interest of Nigerians at heart. The only common denominator unifying them is how to share the loot. Nobody cares about us. Nobody cares about our future. That is why we have remained in our houses till date. Good riddance to bad rubbish. David Ogunwemimo (parent): I don’t see ASUU calling off the strike anytime soon because they have got to a point of no return. If they call it off, it will seem they have achieved nothing. The Federal Government is to blame for the strike. The president, as an academic, a PhD holder, should have satisfied his “constituency,” which is the education sector, but he got it wrong. It is unfortunate. I will also blame ASUU. They have been having agreements and disagreements with governments; what is actually happening with them? They would sign blue paper today, yellow paper tomorrow, orange paper the next day, and nothing would come off it. Bisola Junaid (student): The strike has really affected me. I finished my IT (industrial training) I can’t come to school to defend it or move into final year. It’s been holding me down. I can’t get to do other things because I am scared that if I do anything they might call off the strike and I would have to abandon it. Of course, I want the strike to be called off. I think the compromise should come from both ends. ASUU should lower the bar a little bit; then the Federal Government should do something.
Omoyeni Folarin (student): I am not really happy about the strike because my friends are jobless. But it is giving me time to hang-out with them. Honestly, it is not fair, because I feel like I am moving on and they are lagging behind. It is actually making a lot of places crowded. They just hang out. It is like an extra cult when you are not in school. You have to tell your parents where you are going. In my school we don’t go on strikes like this. I study in Hudegbe North-America University in Benin Republic. Tope Ola Surulere (student): We are tired of the strike. We need to write our exams. I am in 400L Law and I am supposed to be in 500 Level. If the strike is not called off they are going to crash my 500 Level. It will be very hard. It is too long. They should agree on something. I can’t ask ASUU to back out because they have a point. The Federal Government should do something. Segun Bakare (worker): I want the strike to be called off. I want the Federal Government to work on the agreement. I want ASUU to also consider the account of Federal Government, because if a son asks something from a father and the father doesn’t have it, he can’t give it. Abiagari Osigwe (worker): The strike has turned me upside down. My business is down. I am no more doing things I am supposed to do. This is where we have our daily bread. The students are our customers and they are not around. We are not going to deal with ghosts. We are waiting for them to come back so that we can start our life again. Both government and ASUU should compromise

About Chuck


Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetuer adipiscing elit. Ut odio. Nam sed est. Nam a risus et est iaculis adipiscing. Vestibulum ante ipsum faucibus luctus et ultrices.
View all posts by Chuck →

0 comments:

Text Widget

Recent Articles

About Us

© 2014 BRISK TALES. WP Wildweblab converted by Bloggertheme9
Responsive template. Published By Gooyaabi Templates - Powered by Blogger.